When we recently advertised a “work from home” role in Melbourne, we received 103 applications in 30 hours! That’s an incredible response and just goes to show how many people are actively looking for employment that allows them to work from home. This result further reinforced what we already know, that there is a wealth of untapped talent just waiting for the right opportunity to come along.
There are many women, particularly mums, that have had a successful career and decided to take some time out of their career to be the primary caregiver for children or other family members. They are keen to return to a challenging and fulfilling role but they require flexibility around hours of work and place of work. Working from home would give them the opportunity to do a great job by, for example, taking the stress out of commuting to a workplace.
So, what seems to be holding employers back from offering some roles to be carried out at home?
- Lack of visibility – “I like to see my staff right in front of me so I know what they’re doing”. Effective goal setting and frequent work in progress reports can ensure that everyone is on track.
- Face-to-face contact – “I prefer face-to-face meetings”. The same outcomes can be achieved over the phone, Skype or FaceTime, and in fact would cut down on unnecessary time spent in meetings.
- Availability during business hours – “We need to be available during business hours”. If it’s absolutely necessary that the employee working from home only works during business hours, you’ll probably also see them working out of those hours too as they won’t have a commute to and from the workplace.
- IT – “Our IT systems do not cater for remote workers”. There are many online applications available for collaboration and knowledge sharing among remote teams that are easy to install and use.
- Trust – “But how do I know that the job is getting done”. This is the biggest fear a lot of employers have about people working from home and can be combated by just giving it a try. Being open to flexibility will expand your talent pool tenfold. And if you don’t trust your employees to get the job done, are they right for your team?
If you are thinking about how you can reach an untapped talent pool of professional and experienced employees, we’d be happy to work with you on your recruitment strategy. We have a growing network of amazing mums who are seeking challenging opportunities with family friendly employers and many are available to start immediately.
To discuss in further detail, contact our experienced team via our website.